Saturday, October 6, 2007

BITCH IN THE BOARDROOM

BITCH IN THE BOARDROOM
by
MONICA M. BURNS


Women are leading larger companies now more than ever, making their ways into boardrooms everywhere. While this is an ambitious attitude to possess and certainly admire; one that can very-well motivate other women to soar to higher heights in their careers...there is no need to be a bitch about it!

Now....being a bitch in Corporate America doesn’t apply to all....only to those women who are: (just to name a few)

❏ Afraid to lend a helping hand to the next woman for fear that she might take something from them.
❏ Constantly shooting down all ideas suggested by colleagues or subordinates for fear of looking incompetent, and taking the credit.
❏ Surrounding themselves with those who are less-qualified in their job skills and experience..... just so they can appear superior.
❏ Deceitfully threatening job security when they can’t get exactly what they want.
❏ Causing disruption amongst employees by gossiping.
❏ Exaggerating and Manipulating the job skills and experience of their employees, for the purposes of getting a project completed that no one else wants.

The above atrocities along with many others, really happens and is alive and kicking in Corporate America with some women. In a previous job I held many years ago, my immediate manager stated the following “I don’t get high-blood pressure....I give it!” This is one of the most inhumane statements I’ve ever heard spoken from anyone’s mouth, especially from a woman who held the highest position in the company and was considered “everyone’s boss.” She was regularly thrilled and thrived in her excitement, when she actually caused physical sickness and harm such as: Stress, Hypertension, and High-Blood Pressure within the Senior Management Staff. If she walked the halls and an employee was smiling and appeared happy, she automatically assumed that they weren’t working as hard as they could have been; so she immediately assigned more tasks to their already three-week stacked workload.


I was one of the members of the Senior Management Staff, whom she inflicted physical stress upon. This ultimately resulted in me taking a break from that position, to reevaluate and access the entire situation for my life and my career. Before I decided to leave for good......I implemented these tolerance methods into my workday, which made it a little more bearable.....until my last day at that company:

❏ This may sound redundant, but it helps. Incorporate an Affirmation, Quote or Prayer into your day before arriving to work. If allowed, also keep a written Affirmation, Prayer or Quote on your desk or computer.
❏ If you are faced in a confrontation with “HER,” always state your facts and speak your mind, but remain respectful. If you hold it all in, it will certainly eat away at you until the time comes when you are pushed to your edge.
❏ Never receive and own the negative energy that she’s attempting to attach to you. This is what she wants.
❏ If at all possible......play low volume soothing music in your office/cubicle to keep your spirits up and energized.
❏ Avoid “HER” as much as you can. Only see “HER” for assignments and other work-related circumstances. If you are completing your work tasks, there will not be a need to see her at all!
❏ When she calls...allow your voice-mail to pick-up. When she starts complaining (because she will), then take a call or two....but keep them very short. Try to communicate via Email if possible.
❏ Never allow “HER” the satisfaction to see that she is causing you stress. Allow “HER” to say whatever it is she has to say...and kindly excuse yourself from the environment. Yell when you get home or vent to a trusted friend for relief. When she finally gets it that her words can’t touch you anymore, she’ll leave you alone for the moment. Any temporary relief will suffice!
❏ Never allow “HER” to con you into taking on an assignment. If it’s not required of you, simply say no. What is she gonna do...fire you? She needs you, despite the negative energy she’s projecting.
❏ Finally....When her voice makes you cringe, when you feel nauseous waking-up the morning before work, and when your frustrations are being taken out on your family.....it is finally time to leave.

The above are methods I utilized to get through unbearable days, but I eventually had to take charge of that situation which was wrecking havoc in my life. “Did I love that job enough to continue to work under such stressful situations” or “Did I call it a day and leave her to eventually plummet to her own demise.” I chose the latter and currently have a less-stressed life doing work that I love and in my own business. When my work gets stressful, it is caused by me putting too much on myself....but I continue to enjoy it. I can take a break from my work, as opposed to having someone see me taking a break and assigning me more tasks.

What happened to “HER”....well let’s just say this: “She created her own destiny, the company car was taken from her on the property and she had to find another job and her own way home!”

“What You Put Out Into The Universe, You Get Back...Good or Bad!”

Monica M. Burns
Copyright (c)2007 Monica M. Burns. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: